Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Veggie Pot Pie- I love you.

For dinner a few nights ago I made a veggie pot pie. The temperature outside is just barely getting a slight chill in the air here in South-Central California, but it feels autumn-y and I’m workin’ it. Pot pie is autumn comfort food at its best, right? I took a traditional chicken pot pie recipe and adapted it to be a little healthier and, of course, chicken-free. I used Smart Balance Light to make the crust, but only as much as seemed necessary and I used whole wheat pastry flour. I also only put a crust on top- even though I REALLY LOVE a double crust pot pie… *sigh*.


the crust is 'rustic' :)


For the veggies I used the traditional carrots, celery, onion and peas. I had it for dinner and then breakfast the next morning. It made an awesome breakfast!





I really enjoy eating dinner-type foods for breakfast. They seem to fill me up and satisfy me better and for longer than 'breakfast' foods. I'm going to continue to work with this recipe to make it even healthier but still 'comfort-food-ish'.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm...I've been meaning to make a pot pie for a few weeks now. Bought everything to make it with...just gotta find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore dinner foods for breakfast! Often I wait until 11ish to eat so that my first meal of the day will not have to be egg related. (I need protein in the morning and I am so stinking sick of eggs!) I should just dive right in first thing in the am, standards be damned!

    ReplyDelete